Saturday, January 1, 2011

2010 In Review

Well, my faithful readers (or browers, or stumble uponers :)), another year has swooshed on by and here I am to sum it up, as it was for me. I decided I would be bored reading the answers (again) to round 3 of my end-of-the-year survey tradition, so I've modified it.  Taking away the boring questions from the previous survey and adding some from Proust/Vanity Fair and some random thing I found on another blog.  I hope you enjoy it and if you decide to fill out one for yourself, please do let me know! See here the sister-posts from 2008 and 2009. {image from beautifulpaper}
People <3
1. What is your idea of a perfect date? Unusal and surprising. Gourmet food, conversations about what we are passionate about, sharing music, hugs and kisses. Also, getting dressed up and smelling good. Getting flowers. 
2. What's your favorite family tradition? After dinner conversations and the scope that they cover. 
3. What are your favorite qualities in a man? Leadership without dictatorship, tenderness, perceptiveness, true love (that's not cheesey if you've experienced it). 
4. What are your favorite qualities in a woman? An unforseen sense of humor, loyalty, knowing when how and where to speak and when not to. 
5. My idea of a good party? 5 people or less! Good food, music and conversation. 
6. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
'08 Agyness Deyn & Obama
'09 Cate Blanchett.
'10 Marion Cottilard. 
7. Who was the best new person you met?
'08 Jns. No question about it.
'09 I’m glad to have met Rocky & the FC kids. 
'10 Bri Augusto. :) 
Looking Back
1.When and where did you learn to ride a bicycle? In Urumqui, China in the summer of 1998, possibly? My dad taught me on an outdoor basketball court. I ran straight into the backs of a group of students sitting on the ground because I couldn't figure out the breaks. 
2.What was the first big purchase you made with your own money? I distinctly remember buying a pack of tic tacs in Thailand at roughly age 10. One of the biggest feeling purchases of my life. 
3.What was the best thing you bought?
'08 Some stunning and impractical additions to my wardrobe, to be sure (cocktail dresses and stilettos all in strikingly uncommon hues ^^). I also joined mp3search.com and have bought loads of good music there. I bought an extraordinary British dictionary from 1912 as a gift which I am rather proud of.
'09 I don’t know what the best thing was. I like to buy beads at Michael’s… that’s not better than other stuff I bought, but I do like them and used them a lot in my mixed media class. 
'10 Tickets to an Imogen Heap concert, some sari fabric, a set of knives for class (my mom actually bought them for me!). Some vintage clothing and rings and dishes.
4. A movie I saw this year that I consider a “keeper.” A Very Long Engagement, Up In The Air, Children of Men, The Social Network, Inception, Inglorious Bastards, New York I love you, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (yes, it was the first time I'd ever seen it). 
5. My favorite place to shop online? I discovered Etsy. No more needs be said. In the store? nothing new worth mentioning, that I recall... 
6.The Year In Music [What song will always remind you of this year?]
'08 Oh man, that is such an unfair question. There are trillions. Definitely ApathyEdge stuff. Jose Gonzalez's "Hand on Your Heart", Dave Matthew's "Crash Into Me", Copeland's "Coffee", Diana Krall's "Case of You", Anberlin's "Dismantle.Repair", John Legend's "Where Did My Baby Go?", Brand New's "Jesus Christ".
'09 DMB’s “Where Are You Going?” Angus & Julia Stone’s “Mango Tree” JJ’s “Baby” Cleast Eatwood’s “Electric Feel” Rachael Yamagata’s “What If I Leave?” John Mark McMillan’s “Carbon Ribs” Joshua Morrison’s “Westport” Owl City’s “Saltwater Room” Jason Derulo’s “Whatcha Say” Train’s “Hey, Soul Sister” Anything by Fever Ray, Noisettes, the Temper Trap, the Notwist, Francis and the Lights or Bon Iver & the soundtracks to Once, the Curious Case of Benjamin Button & Slumdog Millionaire. Discovered: Karen Dalton, Neon Hitch, Francis & the Lights, Coeur de Pirate, Tiny Vipers.
'10 Corinne Bailey Rae's "Are You Here?", Janelle Monet's "Tightrope", soundtrack to Nine, Rachael Yamagata's "Both Sides Now", MGMT's "Electric Feel", Disney songs - Cruella De Vil & Oo De Lally, "Such Great Heights" particularly by Ben Gibbard (?), The Morning Bender's "Excuses", Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zero's (?) "Home"... Francois Hardy & Ben Christophers "My Beautiful Demon", anything by Frou Frou, Keane's "Sunshine", Coldplay's "Death and all his friends," Dan Black's "Symphonies", several classics by Nat King Cole, multiple songs from Regina Spektor's album "Far", Snowden's "Anemone Arms". Discovered: WORLD WAR (death by adoration!), CocoRosie, Everything Everything, Rogue Wave, Cat Power.
7.What was the best book you read?
'08 Oh! There were several phenomenal ones! The Last Chinese Chef (Nicole Mones), The Tao of Pooh (Benjamin Hoff), and The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand) will remain some of my favorites forever. I also read lots more Dorothy Sayers (always excellent), Wild Swans, Funny in Farsi... I'm happy to have gotten so many good reads in! I was not impressed with Kafka's Metamorphosis (at... all).
'09 Wicked (Gregory Maguire), Wired Magazine, Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger). 
'10 Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men (Gregory Maguire), Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand), Perdido Street Station (China Melville) 
8.What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
'08 I turned 17, and it was the first day of *community* college. :) Jonas and Jordan came over and it was awesome.
'09 My parents threw a big 18th birthday-graduation-4th of July weekend in July which was special and hectic ^^. On my actual birthday, Jonas & Jordan came for dinner and I got a full on small desert garden as a gift. 
'10 I turned 19 - A few days early, my coworkers threw me a surprise party. :) I worked and went to school all day but my mom made awesome Vietnamese wraps for dinner and I had a good time with Jonas and the Fam. A few days later, Jonas and Annelise and I went to the Avila farmer's market where Jonas bought me tuberroses that he couldn't get on the day of my birthday. Then, a month later, Jonas and the Fam and I all went up to visit my aunt in Monteray where we cruised the aquarium and town for a day. 
9. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
'08 Oh.. hm. I would say I've been able to solidify a style more, now that I actually have a selection of places to shop from! But I hope that I've remained versatile. I'm enjoying a very odd mixture of Grace Kelly and Janis Joplin.
'09 I wore more color and more patterns and less make up. I’m very much still into classic though, especially the 40s. 
'10 I wore a lot of clashing colors on purpose. Growing my hair out. This years decade was the 50s (that's probably what I meant last year too but it was too new for me to name correctly...?). Gold, blouses, bows. My first every LBD. Jewel tones and rings and necklaces. 
10. Who was your first kiss? My dear Jonas. 
Looking Ahead
1.What goal would you like to accomplish in the next 12 months? Become more involved at Church, land the PCPA interneship and find a job after that, start school at SCAD as a fibers major, and get engaged. :) 5 years? Run a company (or an aspect of it) pertaining to the art-business world, get a pair of cats, have the first of 3 kids with awesome names. 10 years? Help Jonas publish a book, re-visit China & Thailand and visit Sweden, custom build a house (or renevate an old one!). 
2. I hope my children will remember be for my... ability to open their eyes to new wonders each day. 
Just Me
1.When is your mind most stimulated? Walking along city streets and browsing city stores/blogs. Also conversations about art, spirituality, and things people don't know to talk about. 
2.What comes easily to you? Describing things. 
3. Shoes or clothes person? How about "and"... 
4. How has your understanding of religion changed throughout your life? I've come to see how arrogant I have been about it at times and how trying harder doesn't make you feel better.  Right now I'm loving learning to love what I had regarded with disgust because I am learning to see it differently. 
5.What is your favorite color and flower? No favorite color, only favorite combinations (slate grey & navy blue hover at the top, pale pink & gold) and too many favorite flowers to name, but recently I've discovered peonies (could I be any less of a trend monger?). 
6. When I cook, I like to make... something different every time! Wish I knew how to make... anything fried, for starters. 
In a Nutshell, 2010
Do... trust, laugh a lot, keep up with friends, seek out new things, forgive, try roasting brussel sprouts!
Don't...worry!
Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
'08 I'm going to go with Edith Piaf's "La Vie En Rose" - both truthfully and satirically.
'09 The Killer’s “Sam’s Town.”
'10 Jack Johnson's "No Other Way": 
And know that if I knew all of the answers / 
I would not hold them from you'd-d'k
now all the things that i'd know. 

May 2011 be full of joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails