Monday, January 8, 2018

Style Icon: Amal Clooney

I didn't watch the Golden Globes and I don't know that much about Oprah, but whether it was a joke or for real that she is considering running for the presidency in 2020, it made me realize with sadness and faint horror that we will probably never have another president who isn't a celebrity in media or politics. Name recognition is everything, and while there are exceptions I'm sure, gaining name recognition often seems to go with losing some integrity.

That said, one of my dream presidential candidates is Amal Clooney (nee Alamuddin). I have given this enough serious thought that I looked up her political record (knowing she is a human rights lawyer), and realized she is not American, but British-Lebanese. In fact, she is Druze, a minority group within Islam that I did my undergrad thesis on. Under current US laws, Amal can never be the president, but one can dream! She's still an amazing woman that I admire. Among other high-profile cases and clients, one of her primary career objectives is to hold ISIS accountable for its actions (war crimes) in legal terms. Having a basset hound is a huge plus too. :D Not to mention 70s street-style vibes.

She is also a very stylish women, and mom of twins. She's not the most creative dresser, but I can get behind sleek and classic for sure. Her hair is flawless all the time, and I just think she's beautiful in general. I like it when celebrities (George Clooney) marry "real world" people, and human rights lawyers are my favorite kind of celebrities. In other exciting fashion/celebrity news, Amal will be co-chairing the 2018 Met Gala, which is themed "Heavenly Bodies: Fashion and the Catholic Imagination." It has the potential be truly weird and wonderful, which is just what the Met Gala should be! I can't wait to see the decor and how the guests, including Amal, interpret the theme. I'm envisioning lots of gilded looks inspired by iconography or the robes of officials in the church.


Here are some of my favorite looks of hers. I think the purple gown is lovely, and it illustrates how well she does old-school Hollywood, but it is on the safe side for sure. I wish her Halloween costume with the big hair was a look she wore at other times in the year too. The black overlay on that sequin gown is beautiful and edging into creative territory, but my favorite of these four looks is the retro silver two-piece with pink fur. It really suits her.


Here are some more of my favorite examples of how elegant and classic her style is, also both reminiscent of earlier eras.


I always approve of a good jumpsuit, I think the turban is SO chic (not crazy about the dress), and this last look is a perfectly updated nod to mod (even the earrings are on point). Which is your favorite of her looks?

Whose style have you been admiring lately, and which women would you vote for in 2020? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails