Saturday, January 13, 2018

Our 2018 Wedding: Flora and Fauna

Tomorrow is my 6th wedding anniversary with Jonas, and 9 (!) years of us being a couple. If you're looking for sentimentality or advice, may I direct you to previous posts under the Holy Matrimony Batman tag (on the right side bar if you're viewing on a computer). This year, Jonas and I have been tag-teaming a variety of illnesses for the past 3+ weeks, our county endured the largest wildfire in California history, only to be covered in a catastrophic avalanche when it finally rained last week, and we recently discussed that we'll continue our practice of not giving each other gifts or going on getaways on occasions just because "that's what you do." (We both prefer spontaneous shopping and saving up for traveling abroad.)

Our anniversary is not feeling very romantic this year, but I still amuse myself by noticing just how much we've grown and changed since getting together as teenagers. And also how much we haven't changed. I've re-imagined what our wedding might have looked like had we gotten married recently, in light of my growing adoration of flowers and Jonas' growing collection of preserved wildlife.

The theme would be Flora and Fauna, which, in my mind, naturally bends toward the Victorian Macabre. It's a blend of the primitive and the ornate, the vibrancy of life in the clutches of death. A cabinet of curiosities. I envision iridescent beetles, crumbling scientific labels, strangling vines, and lush embroidered velvets. Charcuterie boards spilling over with bleeding pomegranates and dripping candle wax. The venue would be an abandoned Conservatory, guests are invited to be costumey, and the bride would wear a cape (obviously).




These images are from all over Pinterest. I don't mean to steal anyone's work, so I can track down a source if you really, really need it for some reason. 

Happy Anniversary to us. I'm delighted to have someone to grow weirder with with each passing year. Maybe in a few years we'll be celebrating in good health in some exotic vacation spot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails