Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Middle Kingdom

China, that is. Man, it's a funny one.  It's fashion is making great leaps forward, but it's political freedoms seem to be sinking to the bottom of the deep blue sea. // One thing I've been missing a lot lately is the BEST RICE in the whole wide world. I had it up in a tiny town in the mountains of Gui Zhou province. I might even shoot BBs at small animals if you promised me some of that rice in return (fear not, I probably couldn't hit them). Ah, heaven! // Here is an interesting article about the "great fire wall of China" in a recent issue of Wired. I didn't know much about the Falun Gong before reading this article, but as it turns out, it's a bit one sided. I'm constantly amazed at how much more I've learned about the inner-workings (injustices) of China now that I live in the U.S. I think that the Chinese government covers up all its scandals so well that sometimes living in China feels peachy. I distinctly remember wondering why my Chinese friends didn't feel more wronged by the way their country treats them at times. It's a problem I can't fix, nor even get my head around. Take for instance, some of these wacky headlines, all to be taken with a grain of salt, I imagine. But for that matter, how many of these are unheard of in America? Thanks to Tanya for the sources. (Disclaimer - I haven't read most of these, sorry for anything odd in advance.):

Anyway, I love that country, despite its weirdities. Here is some of my favorite literature about/based in China if you are interested. I feel like I'm forgetting some, so maybe I'll have to make a follow-up post another time. 

I'll leave you with some of my favorite Asian or Asian-inspire fashion. Sometime you have to focus on what's good, you know? {from: fgr, suicideblonde, w5ran, dustjacketattic, robinpika}







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails