Thursday, December 16, 2021

O Holy Night, Colorized

What a night, Sagittarius emblazons the dark

Somewhere close by, a baby is crowning

It's been years of death, grief, and darkness

But tonight my spirit feels strangely light

A thrill of hope, the weary world rejoices

Because day is breaking onto something gloriously new

I'm crumpled up, listening to the howling of the wind

I imagine I can hear the baby crying

The swoosh of wings surrounds him, divine comfort


My faith is only a pinpoint of light

But this lightness of spirit leads me to the newborn baby

All of us, once infants ourselves,

Gather here with the same sense of awe

In all our trials born to be our friend

He looks up at us with his scrunchy newborn eyes

It's like he knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger

Behold him


He starts to cry, I squeeze the arm of the woman next to me

I feel a surge of emotion and I want to hold on to everyone in this room

I want to love them

Because his cry is love, and the tidings he brings are peace

He breaks every chain, for the enslaved is my brother

And in his name, all oppression will cease. Think of it!

A lump rises in my throat, an anthem of joy

Let all within us praise this holy thing

Christ is King, praise his name forever!

I am proclaiming it still


Written 12/16/21. O Holy Night was written by Adolphe Adam in 1847, a few of the lines of my adaptation are original to his hymn. 


1 comment:

  1. Love this! Thank you! I have read and could feel your struggles, but I don't doubt your faith and strength. So long since I have seen you but was so glad to find your blog. Love to your parents. We miss them. 🙂💗

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails