Monday, June 6, 2016

Scandinavian Potato Salad

There are about as many ways to make potato salad as there are households in the United States, but a lot of them are pretty yucky. I don't like the overly gooey, overly sweet, under-flavored kinds, and in general, I don't like eggs in anything, although I have had a few potato salads where the eggs were small and tasteless enough to be ignored. 

I'm not the best at making up recipes from scratch, but I'm on a life-long quest to perfect several staples of the American diet (spaghetti sauce, pasta salad, etc.) and in these cases, I do feel more comfortable making it up as I go along or adjusting based on other people's recipes that I do or do not like. 

So, if you ask me to make potato salad, this is what you're getting. It's pretty delicious, and not conventional. 



Time: 45 minutes (ish)  

Yield: A potluck-sized bowl 

What You'll Need:

  • 10 small potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold 
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 sprigs of fresh dill weed, chopped
  • 1 clove of minced garlic (see step 3 for note on this) 
  • Juice from half a small lemon 
  • 1/2 cup of chopped smoked salmon 
  • 1 Tbsp. whole grain mustard (I prefer the less horseradish-y kinds. I didn't use the mustard pictured, that was just the only mustard we had in the house) 
  • 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. of cracked black pepper
  • Dash of sugar (you can't taste it, I just imagine that it rounds out the other flavors nicely) 
All of these measurements are rough. I adjust according to preference and taste on everything. 


Directions:
1. Bring a large pot of SALTED water to boil, then boil potatoes for 15-20 min depending on the firmness you like. 15 minutes leaves some bits partly crunchy, which I like. 


2. Drain potatoes and run cold water over them until you can handle them painlessly. Dice into small/medium cubes. If you want to remove the skin, they peel off easily at this stage. 

3. Add potatoes to a large bowl, and mix in remaining ingredients. Taste, and adjust according to your preference. The raw garlic gives this salad quite a bite, so if you're not a fan, consider adding less. 




4. By the time you've diced and mixed all of this, it's usually about room temperature, but you can also chill the salad until you're ready to eat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails