Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Look With Your Eyes: Makoto Fujimura

Things have been quiet on the blog lately, if you haven't noticed. I go through phases of feeling that there's a lot I want to say and share, and then phases where I have 113 post drafts, but don't feel inspired to finish any of them. More basically than that, I've been barely hanging on trying to manage my school-load on top of the rest of my life. I just finished my class though, so hopefully I can get back into the blogging saddle for a bit. I actually started this art series as easy filler posts between posts that take me longer to compose, and yet I still don't get these out very much. Anyway, here's one for you, and hopefully I get to share more often in November!

My friend Kevin saw an old painting of mine that I instagrammed recently and then suggested I ;ook up this artist, Makoto Fujimura. I like his style a lot (so much gold!) and he even has a series based around the greek word "charis", which is the root of my name! I'd love to get back to making abstract paintings.



His work reminds me of a painting I saw in a textbook once, but for the life of me, I can not track down the name of the painting or the artist! All I remember was that it was a large scale painting (my favorite) that was entirely blue. Sometimes I'm tempted to think, "I could paint that" of that type of work, but the thing I loved about this particular blue painting was the artist's explanation of its meaning. He said it was a representation of God's robes, His glory filling the temple, which was so profound to me. I got this image of incredible blue, flowing robes, and the "frame" of the painting (as in, the "frame" of a photo, not a wooden picture frame) was the robe billowing over your field of vision for a moment, so immense it filled everything. I'm so taken by those moments in which I can visualize an aspect of God that I've never imagined before.

It's funny to look back on the progression of my artistic taste. I had a Russian Ballet coloring book when I was 10 or so, and I insisted on coloring the costumes in no more than 2 colors on the entire page, and they had to be analogous colors. I also had no appreciation for abstract art or modern art. Nowadays, there's no such thing as too many colors on one canvas for me, and abstract art is my favorite, especially when it plays with texture as well.

How have your preferences in art changed since you were younger?
Have you ever seen an abstract painting that made you feel something powerful? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails